Sunday, May 29, 2005

Sermonizing??

Today I preached my first sermon...a very new and different experience for me. In my past job I often had to do presentations and spoke on several other occasions, but this was just different. This whole deal of the Holy Spirit speaking through you changes everything. I really sensed that the Holy Spirit showed up a few weeks ago one late night when this message really hit me...living in response to grace. It was like the flood gates opened and the whole sermon just poured out of me. But after that I began to refine it, analyze it, organize it, and basically beat it to death. But this whole time I just did not feel the same burn in my heart as I did that first night when it all just overflowed into messy notes onto my notebook paper. As I went over my outline and spoke the message out in my mind the last few days, I just did not have that same original passion...almost like I was missing something. Was what I was missing the Holy Spirit?? Early this morning as I was going over everything one last time I just realized that I had done all I could do...it was time to just leave the rest as open space for God to do the final work...and he did.

It's so hard to judge how one's own sermon goes. I'm actually trying not to think about it at all...but I'm tempted to replay it in my mind and analyze every word I can remember but I feel like I just need to leave it alone. I was overwhelmed as I was speaking and even choked up a few times. I definately felt more enabled to articulate clearly and precisely things that I could not get down as I prepared. I think that what I was feeling was the Holy Spirit guiding my words. This is all new to me. It's almost like my little son Benjamin learning to walk for the first time...he's akwardly stumbling around not knowing how or what exactly he's doing.

7 Comments:

Blogger Alison said...

Josh, with your humble heart and love of God, the Spirit probably found a friendly welcome mat at the intro to your sermon. He couldn't help but walk on in.

We praise God for such a wonderful friend that gives Him glory!

10:32 AM  
Blogger Nolan said...

Hey Josh,

Where'd you preach? I'd love to hear it. I know - beyond a shadow of a doubt - that it was excellent! Thanks for sharing some of your journey on reaching that preaching moment. It was a good reassurance for me and something I needed to hear.

His,
Nolan

6:47 PM  
Blogger Josh said...

Nolan, man it was so good to see your name here. Thanks so much for your encouragement. I preached at Cornerstone in Auburn on my visit home.

7:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Josh! It's Maryann from school, I stumbled upon your site when I was sifting through the ATS Blog. I just wanted to say Hi to you, Leslie, and Benjamin. I hope you are all doing well!! Have a great summer!!

9:28 PM  
Blogger Michel said...

Josh,

Consider that first flash of inspiration your first time hiking a trail into the woods... each day you keep walking the same trail looking around and soon you become familiar with it... so familiar in fact that the excitement wanes and you start thinking, "I'm sick of this trail... I want to go somewhere else."

This continues until you come to the day of preaching... the day you lead someone else down the trail... you've been here... but they haven't... and so you have to lead them, and provide for their weakness so that they can travel safely with you. That is about the best analogy I can use for preaching.

You know what has been revealed... you have looked at it from every side... and then you share it with others who help you to see it again in a new way.

Jeremy Begbie (a personal hero) says that: "The wonderful thing about the Gospel of God, it that it is constantly being made new." I think that this phenomenon is part of what he is talking about.

10:00 PM  
Blogger John David Walt said...

You've been found! a stealth blogger. great post Josh. you really dialed into the issue with preaching. i think of that phenomenon as downloading vs. streaming. We want the download bc/ we can control the content. But with a live stream we can only pray for a "live" connection-- a DSL. To move from a dial-up connection to broadband. While that may not be an effective metaphor for formation (too technological) it does make the point.

10:28 AM  
Blogger Alison said...

Okay, Josh....I want a new blog post.....

1:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home