Sunday, May 13, 2007

The Wine Press

Ah, back again. It's been months since my last post so I'm trying to ease back into blog life. These last days have been exceptionally busy and tiring ones. It seems that this semester has been a pretty tough one to balance...between school, work in our Seminary's chapel office, and family life, it's been a pretty good stretch. Most of you reading will also know that my Dad has been in some very trying times. He has been battling cancer for almost 8 years now and it has recently become very aggressive. A few weeks back he made the decision to no longer pursue treatments and he is now in the care of Hospice. So it's been a heavy season for our family.

About a week ago I spent a day over at the Abbey of Gethsemani. This has become one of my favorite places in the world. I went with my good friend JD Walt, aka Farmstrong, who I have worked for in the chapel office for the last two years. The rain poured on us for most of the day but we still made it out through the trails to the statues of Gethsemani. On our drive out that morning I was telling JD that I have felt like I have been in that place of Gethsemani...where I see what is before me and feel completely strained.

Mark 14:32-36 They went to a place called Gethsemane; and he said to his disciples, "Sit here while I pray." 33 He took with him Peter and James and John, and began to be distressed and agitated. 34 And he said to them, "I am deeply grieved, even to death; remain here, and keep awake." 35 And going a little farther, he threw himself on the ground and prayed that, if it were possible, the hour might pass from him. 36 He said, "Abba, Father, for you all things are possible; remove this cup from me; yet, not what I want, but what you want."

I want to ask God to take away what is ahead but I know that it must remain. Then JD, in his wise knowledge, let me know that Gethsemani means "wine press". Yes, this is where I have been. The Wine Press. But most times I'm feeling more of the "press" than any sort of fine wine. But I have hope. It has been a semester of healing and becoming whole. Learning a new way to live...another whole post I will have to share soon.

But in all this "pressing" I have felt like just being quiet on the blog. I hope to have more coming soon.

1 Comments:

Blogger John David Walt said...

olive press-- i think josh. great post. thanks for the link love. jd

1:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home