Thursday, June 29, 2006

Simple Gratitude

Yesterday afternoon I took Benjamin to see the new movie, Cars...his first time ever in a movie theater. I wasn't too sure how he would do but it was great. He absolutely loved it. For the first hour of the movie he was glued to the screen like he was inside the movie himself. He was totally unaware of his surroundings and sat in my lap like he was in a trance. After a while he loosened up and began to eat some popcorn. By the end he was standing up in the isle cheering for "Lightening McQueen". It was a great time. But the most special time came later in the evening. We had just finished the whole bath and bed time rituals and were saying our final good nights. Leslie and I were walking out of his room when I heard him say in the dark, "Thank you for Cars Daddy". Leslie looked at me and I completely melted. It was so pure, cutting right to my heart. I was captured by his words the rest of the night.

The last few days Leslie and I have been sensing that we have been taking some pretty big blessings for granted...simply not having gratitude. This both convicted and taught us. As a father, it felt so good to hear these words from my prescious son. The rest of the night I just kept thinking how it would please God for me to do the same. I learned that gratitude does not have to be anything fancy or some big calculated act. It's just a simple "thank you for cars daddy".

3 Comments:

Blogger John David Walt said...

gratitude= heart of worship. thanks josh for the reminder. cars rocked. been to mcdonalds yet to get your collection???? we go EVERY DAY!!!

7:45 PM  
Blogger Josh said...

Yes, we picked up "Tow-Mater" the other day.

6:59 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Josh A. and J.D.

At RadioShack in Nic Vegas (Nicholasville) we have those little remote control ZipZaps that have been a hit with the kids (and parents) who have seen "Cars"


Josh D.

6:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home