Thursday, March 16, 2006

The journey home...

The journey home continued...
It was an incredible trip home last week. A very rich time that I will never forget. The Lord called me in a very unexpected and powerful way to go home and visit my Mom and my Dad (see previous post). I didn't know exactly what to expect in this but after a day of being there I realized that it was about hearing my Dad's story. Over these days and nights we mostly sat by the fireplace and I listened to him tell the stories of his life: his early days as a kid in Quincy, FL; the struggles of growing up in an alcholic home; his dreams of becoming a pilot and his time in the Air Force; his years at Auburn University; his first job as an electrical engineer; how he became a Christian; his marriage to my Mom; his proudest moments as a father; his best friends along the way; all the cars that he owned. Most of the stories in themselves were very ordinary but all together they weaved an incredible narrative of God's guidance and providence. It was amazing to see how God protected and nurtured my Dad long before he came to know and follow him. What might have been seen as an ordianry life became an extravagant artwork of God's grace.

I am left with so much to process after these days with my Dad. I will never be the same. Something really big happened here that I know the Lord will be revealing to me for a long time. This life story of my Dad is now a part of me. There is really something to this business of telling our stories to others. Our souls become deeply connected to oneanother and there is a unique fulfillment in our hearts. It is life giving...in watching my Dad tell these accounts the suffering of cancer and chemotherapy seemed to melt away. He suddenly became energized, charasmatic and funny. It was almost as if we escaped our current place and were temporarily imported into the world of the stories. Rich times for a father and a son.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Josh, I enjoyed you story very much. It made me think back to when my Dad was alive, and he would tell stories about his life and it would keep you on the edge of your seat, so to speak. You are a very good writer and you express yourself in a very professional manner. I could say that you have chosen an honorable profession, but I think that the Lord has chosen you. In the pioneer days it was the custom to leave the latch string out in the front door. The latch string was used to open the piece of wood that was used to barricad the door at night. In the morning etc. they would push the string or strap through the door to the outside so that friends etc. could come in. I think the Lord has extended the latch string to you and you have chosen to take it and come in to HIS house. What I'm trying to say is that you have been "Called". Very proud of you and what you are doing.
Carl&Dianne

9:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home