Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Learning from a toddler.

Lately I have really been flooded with thoughts and reflections about my relationship with Benjamin (my two year old). I could pour out so much about this right now but the main point I would eventually come to is this...being a father is teaching me how to be a son. Today I found some old words that I just felt pressed to share here. It's something I scribbled down during one of our chapel services last spring. On this day, Jason Upton was leading the service and just singing over us. I remember sitting there with my head between my knees listening to his words when I felt the need to just start writing. Here's what came (pardon the run on sentence):

I came home the other day, opened the garage door and walked in the back door to our home to see my son turning the corner from the hall into the kitchen, running towards me with both arms up in the air, shreeking with joy, holding a plastic soup ladel high in one hand. He was doing his best to run towards me, just being able to walk for a few weeks now. His feet pattered across our hard kitchen floor. He was wearing red and black plad flannel pants and a grey long sleve t-shirt with a big cartoon zebra on the front. He had on the little white lace up leather boots that klanked across the floor. He ran at me so hard that I had to catch him. I was kneeling down with my arms reaching out for him in his final steps. If I had not been there he woud have face planted right into the floor...he was coming at me that hard. Total trust. He had heard the garage door open from his room and took that as a sign that daddy was home. It was an ear piercing shreek he screamed out as he ran. Words can't describe it. I caught him in my arms and wrapped him up. I love you Benjamin!

Man, how I long to be like Benjamin towards our Father in heaven! These children around us...they are amazing persons of faith and joy!

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Awesome words and thought. It's amazing to think that our Father in Heaven is the same way towards us when we come running to Him. One of the many things I am very thankful for because I have come running many times.

Josh D.

7:58 AM  
Blogger David Wofford said...

That's an image of faith that I needed to read. I want that kind of faith too. God is restoring that faith in me. It may just be a lifelong process...

7:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home