Wednesday, August 10, 2005

I just want to walk like Benjamin.

My dear friend, Dan Lowe, wrote this poem this past February while he was watching Benjamin climb up and down the stairs outside McKenna Chapel. Leslie was close behind. He scribbled it down on a sheet of notebook paper and gave it to me. I just found it again this morning in my journal and wanted to share it:

I want to walk like Benjamin,
one step at a time up and down the stairs
while you're there to catch me when I fall.

So often my legs are too short
and my eyes are too big,
but with a grin on my face
I take a leap,
but before I stumble your hands grab mine
and I grin like Benjamin.

Walking up isn't so hard
because I just trust the next ledge.
You're right behind me,
but when I turn around all I see is edge
and my feet are to short
and my eyes are too big
but then your hands are there and I remember to giggle in delight.

I just want to walk like Benjamin.

Dan Lowe 2-24-05

There is so much in this little poem. Today I feel like I'm at the edge and my legs are too short, my eyes are too big. I've got a lot going on right now. I want to giggle in delight and grin like Benjamin! Lord open my eyes to see your hands behind me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home