Monday, July 10, 2006

Day of Solitude

Today I went over to Trappist, KY with my friend Brandon to visit the Abbey of Gethsemani. I was not quite sure what to expect as it was my first time to visit a Monestary, but it was incredible. The Abbey sits on almost 3,ooo acres of rolling plains. We explored several of the trails and were able to see the statues of Gethsemani (see below). We also met several of the brothers and were able to chat a bit about life there. Brother Camillus who we met had been at the Abbey since 1940...yes 66 years (and has never left the property during that time)! It was amazing to observe these guys...their complete giving over of their entire life for the sake of prayer and devotion to Christ. Since 1848 (158 years), these Monks have been singing to God and praying for the world...seven days a week, seven times each day-starting at 3:15 AM. Brandon and I were able to join them in two of the services while we were there. It was amazing to hear these humble voices chant the Psalms. Of course they had it all memorized-they go through all 150 Psalms every two weeks. It was also interesting to have lunch with a room full of people in complete silence...all you could hear was the "cling" of spoons and forks on the plates...and Brandon's jaw popping as he chewed up his broccoli. I hope to make many more trips over to this quiet place. To learn more about Gethsemani go to The Abbey of Gethsemani.













Matthew 26:38-45 Stay here and keep watch with me." Going a little farther, he fell with his face to the ground and prayed, "My Father, if it is possible, may this cup be taken from me. Yet not as I will, but as you will." Then he returned to his disciples and found them sleeping. "Could you men not keep watch with me for one hour?" he asked Peter. "Watch and pray so that you will not fall into temptation. The spirit is willing, but the body is weak." He went away a second time and prayed, "My Father, if it is not possible for this cup to be taken away unless I drink it, may your will be done." When he came back, he again found them sleeping, because their eyes were heavy. So he left them and went away once more and prayed the third time, saying the same thing. Then he returned to the disciples and said to them, "Are you still sleeping and resting? Look, the hour is near, and the Son of Man is betrayed into the hands of sinners.

2 Comments:

Blogger brandon said...

Josh,

This was a great day, and memories were made that I will take with me as we are preparing to leave Kentucky.

I am surprised you didn't talk about the snake! Perhaps I should blog about it, since I was the one who was clueless enough to practically be standing on it and not notice.

brandon

7:09 PM  
Blogger Josh said...

Ya, Brandon you write it up and I'll link to you!

5:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home