Friday, July 14, 2006

I've been arrested by the monks...more thoughts on Gethsemani














Ever since my trip to Gethsemani earlier this week I have been captivated by the brothers there. Don't worry (Mom), I'm not going to become a Catholic Monk or anything but I was truly impacted by what I observed...mainly the persistence and lifetime dedication they live with. This picture above is from their website, Abbey of Gethsemani. I don't know when this picture was taken but when I was there to visit, these same dudes were in the exact same stations...same guy playing the organ, etc (I recognize most all of them...and the rebel with the blue jeans). This picture could have been taken last week or 10 years ago. Not much changes at this place...THESE GUYS STAY THE COURSE! A few nights ago I was up in the middle of the night to feed one of the girls...the clock on the microwave said 3:23 (am). My first thought was, "Those guys are over there in that sancturay, up and dressed in their robes, already 8 minutes into their first morning prayer." And this is the first of seven for the day.
Other thoughts I have had revolve around the cemetary that is just outside the sanctuary. It is here where these men will be burried, joining all of those who have gone before them in the previous 158 years. It's just about 50 feet from where they come and worship every day. I try to imagine what it would be like to take the vows to enter this life, knowing the mundane, silent schedule you would live with the remainder of your days until you would eventually be burried "right over there". These are just some of the thoughts that have been rolling around in my head this week. But the conclusion I am led to is that these brothers live in another reality beyond what we can touch and see. It is one where God is their best friend, literally. He's the one they talk to and live out their days with. They live with a hope in the promise of Jesus, of a new heaven and a new earth and a new life in Christ. THEY REALLY BELIEVE THIS STUFF...IT IS THEIR REALITY! So do you or I have to go become a Monk to live in this reality? Of course not. But the question I ask myself is this: What does it look like for us to live in this reality right from where we are...where God has placed us?

Thomas Merton, esteemed spiritual writer who lived within this very community wrote, "Sooner or later, If we follow Christ we have to risk everything in order to gain everything. We have to gamble on the invisible and risk all that we can see and taste and feel. But we know the risk is worth it, because there is nothing more insecure than the transient world. For this world as we see it is passing away (1 cor. 7:31).

Sorry if these thoughts are a little jumbled. Just thinking (or writing) our loud here.

5 Comments:

Blogger Brian said...

Thanks for the challenge. I'm continually reminded that serving the local church isn't really much of a sacrifice. Does my relationship with God suffer because of that?

9:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for sharing, josh (it's julie in alabama!)...your thoughts are challenging and inspiring on your trip to the abbey. blessings to you as you continue to process this...

1:04 PM  
Blogger John David Walt said...

GOOD STUFF JOSH. lets go again soon.

2:15 PM  
Blogger David Wofford said...

That place has left an indelible mark on my understandings as well. The ladies are all looking beautiful too! Its great to read about your goings on!

1:45 PM  
Blogger Josh said...

David...are you talking about the ladies over at the Monestary??? You must be talking about my little girls...there are not many "ladies" over at Gethsemani. Good to hear from you David. Hope you are doing well and want to see you soon.

7:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home